Possible regression today's git wine-1.1.19-153-g55ad3fd

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 20 15:52:33 CDT 2009

2009/4/20 Reece Dunn <msclrhd at googlemail.com>:
> 2009/4/20 Susan Cragin <susancragin at earthlink.net>:
>>>Ohhh... got a nice crash after a re-boot.
>>
>> Never mind that. This looks more promising. At least, to me it does. The actctx error I get all the time, but I've never seen the other, and it happend right as the system froze up.
>>
>> fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC" (8.0.50608.0)
>> err:wave:wodPlayer_WriteMaxFrags Error in writing wavehdr. Reason: Broken pipe
>> err:wave:wodPlayer_WriteMaxFrags Error in writing wavehdr. Reason: Broken pipe
>> err:wave:wodPlayer_WriteMaxFrags Error in writing wavehdr. Reason: Broken pipe
>> err:wave:wodPlayer_WriteMaxFrags Error in writing wavehdr. Reason: Success
>
> Interesting. You are running Ubuntu studio 8.10 without pulseaudio, right?
>
> Have you updated the system between version runs (that may have
> reintroduced pulseaudio, for example)?
>
> Are you running any other sound applications (or the sound that is
> played after boot on Ubuntu)?
>
> Could you perform a git bisect to identify the guilty change?

Doing some investigation, I have found
(http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/HowTo_Asynchronous_Playback):
"""
That is basically all there is to the callback. Note however, that
this example does not include error checking, which is a good idea of
course. Occasionally, you may have to restore from a buffer under-run,
in case the computer was caught up in some other process and didn't
get to calling your callback. Whenever this happens, the first
operation you perform on the device, in this case
snd_pcm_avail_update, will return -EPIPE (a 'Broken Pipe' error). You
can restore from this by calling the snd_pcm_prepare function again.
"""

This may be what you are experiencing here. I'd need to look into this
further, but to be honest, I'm a little out of depth with the Windows
and Wine sound interfaces.

- Reece