Changing the language that wine runs in (testing language versions of dialogs)

Reece Dunn msclrhd at
Tue Apr 21 02:26:53 CDT 2009

Looking at, it has
winecfg from wine 1.1.19 running in Spanish. The screenshot shows that
the static text is wrapped over 4 lines, but the text is clipped
(should be 8x4 dlus high). This is not the issue reported there, but I
would like to fix it and improve the layout.

So, how do I change locale? Especially from a just-built version of Wine.

I have tried:
    LANG=es ./wine winecfg
    LANG=es.UTF-8 ./wine winecfg
    LC_ALL=es ./wine winecfg
    LC_ALL=es.UTF-8 ./wine winecfg
    export LANG=es && ./wine winecfg

I have also tried changing the system regional and language settings.
None of these have worked. It's not on the FAQ either.

I am using Kubuntu 9.04.

- Reece