Wine patch code review or what to do if patches get stuck?

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 02:51:37 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Igor Tarasov <tarasov.igor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The reason of why I write this to you is simple: my patches have stuck
> again and I don't know what to do. But since this happening not with
> me only and not this happens regularly, I have thought about looking
> at the problem a bit wider.
>
> Is there any code review system for patches that are sent to
> wine-patches? Or just some developers monitor wine-patches and say
> something if they have something to say? Or, how does Alexander make
> decisions regarding committing patches?

It's an open list, and many times, developers do comment. But if the
patch is not so obviously wrong, or no one knows that code area well,
it may not get a reply, even if correct.

> I've been thinking about some kind of web-based system, like one used
> at http://codereview.chromium.org/
>
> It would be nice, if there was sime kind of bot, that would grab all
> patches from wine-patches, sort them, make some initial analysis
> (maybe, run local test git repository, make various tests, check that
> threre are no conflicts, check code style (at least whitespace
> changes) etc). Then it could set a flag and report back to the sender.
> For instance it would flag "tests fail" and send details back to
> sender. Or "whitespace change detected" and send back the quoted diff
> parts.

We had this for a while. Dan Kegel wrote patchwatcher
(http://wiki.winehq.org/PatchWatcher) precisely for this. It's been
offline for a while since he's been remodeling his house. If you've
got a spare machine and a bit of perl knowledge, should only be a few
minutes to set up.

> Then, somebody of developers might review it and put his mark/comments
> that would go to wine-devel (if necessary), or to sender directly.

Patchwatcher does this.

--
-Austin