Remote named pipes and stuff.

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Apr 22 09:37:45 CDT 2009

Kai asked:
> Is there a use case for remote named pipes?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q238949/
shows that SQL Server supports named pipes as an
access method.  Some apps or sites might assume that
works, and not be able to use TCP/IP for this.

Google finds at least three examples of people wanting
to used named pipes in previous wine threads:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine/msg/06fbfdfb53a28cbd
"I'm trying to run a Delphi application on Wine. The application uses
BDE to talk to a MSSQL server, but database communication does not
work.
Enable debugging i see this error message:
warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"SRVCAF1\\pipe\\sql\\query" not
found in ...dosdevices/unc
warn:ntdll:NtCreateFile L"\\??\\UNC\\SRVCAF1\\pipe\\sql\\query" not
found (c000003a)
warn:file:CreateFileW Unable to create file L"\\\\SRVCAF1\\pipe\\sql\
\query" (status c000003a)
Is this UNC pipe supposed to work on Wine? "
(I think you even replied to that thread :-)

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine/msg/e7323dfa94cf3221

"I am trying to connect a client with named pipes to a remote server.
Using the kernel32 function CreateFile I get the folling message:
fixme:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name UNC name
L"\\??\\UNC\\192.168.1.157\\pipe\\Archiv\\Server" not supported
I am using Wine20040505.
Is the anybody out there who can help? To be frank, I am a rooky using
wine an Linux, but... ;o) "

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine/msg/a3d22d752d2d29e6
"[Outlook seems to use a named pipe to connect to Exchange:
  fixme:win32:WaitNamedPipeA \\EXCH_CTL2\pipe\epmapper 0x00000000 "]

So, there you have it.  Databases, Microsoft Exchange, and the like
seem to like using remote named pipes.
- Dan