Remote named pipes and stuff.

Juan Lang juan.lang at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 10:43:16 CDT 2009

Hi Kai,

> However, Jeff Layton asked me about a use case, and I have to admit I can't
> think of one off the top of my head. So, what application do we have that
> fails to work due to the lack of remote named pipes?

I actually think the clearest use of remote named pipes is actually
local named pipes implemented in the kernel.  See for example LKCL's
many posts and bug reports regarding this.  A remote named pipe
implementation that happened to work for the local case would be
useful for at least Python, as Luke pointed out.  But really any
application that used named pipes could benefit:  our implementation
is pretty incomplete.
--Juan