The DIB engine... does anyone know how to get it into Wine?

Luke Benstead kazade at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 08:32:28 CDT 2009

2009/4/28 Chris Howe <mrmessiah at gmail.com>:
> I think it's time that a definitive framework for it was agreed upon,
> because as people have said, this isn't the first time that someone
> has tried to implement the DIB engine. It's been on the todo list of
> improvements to Wine for as long as I can remember, but it seems
> as if every time someone tries to make good on that, that development
> gets so far but is then turned down on the grounds that the
> architecture isn't right. That's a lot of hours of wasted work.
>
> But then you'd expect that: it's a big project, and it's hampered by
> the fact that the current system has evolved to sort-of-work in a way
> that avoiding regressions is difficult if not impossible in the short term.
> It's logical that without some agreed upon roadmap, without some
> architectural pre-planning, any one person's attempt is going to come
> up short.
>
> --
> Chris

Might I suggest that, as Huw, Jesse and Max have the most experience
with what needs to be done, perhaps one or more of them could update
this page: http://wiki.winehq.org/DIBEngine with what actually needs
to change in GDI32 to allow for an incremental implementation of the
DIB engine and also perhaps update the page with as much info about
the current architecture, faults with the previous attempts etc. as
possible. If there is more information out there about the problem,
perhaps more people can contribute to coming up with a solution.

Luke.