The DIB engine... does anyone know how to get it into Wine?

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 13:07:07 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 7:48 PM, Massimo Del Fedele <max at veneto.com> wrote:
> Roderick Colenbrander ha scritto:
>

>> We shouldn't introduce a temporary driver.
>
> Why ?
>
>  I can't speak for Alexandre
>>
>> but I think he would prefer to let winex11.drv not directly touch DIBs
>> and move it to gdi32
>
> Me too
>
>  and I guess in a second step also move the
>>
>> conversion code over to gdi32
>
> agree too
>
>  and work with some capability flags
>>
>> which the display driver uses to tell whether it can render at a
>> certain depth or not. Depending on that gdi32 should execute the
>> current conversion code.
>
> perfect
>
>  In a next step the DIB engine can be added.
>>
> which next step ? then you'd already have the engine :-)

No then you don't have the engine yet. In my proposal you would first
make winex11.drv not depend on DIBs (the conversion code would still
be in winex11.drv), then you move the conversion code over (you would
still perform 8bit drawing using X by converting it to 24bit but this
conversion would be done inside gdi32). In the third step you would
add software based drawing functions, so the actual DIB engine.

Roderick