[6/8] WineD3D: Return a different success value if D3D is not available

Stefan Dösinger stefan at codeweavers.com
Thu Aug 6 06:44:29 CDT 2009

Am Thursday 06 August 2009 12:26:20 schrieb Henri Verbeet:
> > Not really, we have a number of cases in ddraw already where the default
> > value is overwritten(e.g. depth test at device creation), and there are
> > many other differences beyond defaults.
>
> I'm not sure we should take ddraw as an example of how we prefer to do
> things.
Maybe, maybe not, but that doesn't change the fact that d3d7 has most of the
differences(with just d3d8+d3d9 all we'd have to change is the pointsizemin
default value), and it doesn't make behavior flags scale better. (Of course
adding a full sized system like a default stateblock for each problem doesn't
scale either)

That's why I still think we should use behavior flags as a last resort, and
use other problem specific ways where possible and reasonable. (an example
for what's not reasonable: Clone the entire private data code in ddraw to
avoid the AddRef - I clearly prefer a behavior flag for that)