backward binary compatibility of winelib

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at
Sun Aug 9 01:49:57 CDT 2009

Hi Andrey,

"Андрей Пономаренко" <abi.compliance.checker at> wrote:

>  I'm from Institute for System
> Programming of Russian Academy of Sciences and we are developing a free
> lightweight tool for checking backward/forward binary compatibility of
> shared C/C++ libraries in OS Linux. It checks interface signatures and
> data type definitions in two library versions (headers and shared
> objects) and searches ABI changes that may lead to incompatibility.
> We have released 1.2 version of this tool and we'd like you to consider
> its usefulness for your project.
> The wiki-page with the latest release of binary compatibility checker is

Wine (and winelib) is supposed to be binary compatible with Windows
applications, so it's virtually impossible to make it incompatible
in future versions. There is one tiny possibility, that a winelib
app uses an internal Wine interfaces and the interface changes, but
that should not be an issue.