Wine and XShm support

Rico Schüller kgbricola at web.de
Mon Aug 10 16:28:05 CDT 2009

Am 10.08.2009 11:25, schrieb Roderick Colenbrander:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Henri Verbeet<hverbeet at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> 2009/8/9 Roderick Colenbrander<thunderbird2k at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> I would perhaps suggest that we should perhaps drop XShm support (or
>>> at least add a registry key for it and disable it perhaps on 'modern
>>> drivers'). What do you guys think?
>>>

>> Could you do some benchmarking? You can disable XShm support by
>> passing "--without-xshm" to configure.
>>

> It would be useful if some people using Nvidia, intel or EXA based
> drivers could compare the results of the test app attached to this
> mail with and without XShm. A test on ATI fglrx is not useful at this
> point because it doesn't use an EXA-like architecture yet and they
> don't accelerate XRender in hardware yet.
>
> Thanks,
> Roderick

wine-1.1.27-40-g0c862de
GeForce 8800 GTS/PCI/SSE2 - 3.1.0 NVIDIA 190.18
The test was build with "i686-pc-mingw32-gcc -m32 -o blt_test test.c
-lgdi32 -lcomctl32", I couldn't get winegcc to compile it (path issues -
wine is not installed, I'm running it from an out of tree build).

./configure --without-xshm
stretchblt 1.0xStretch counts/blit=53
stretchblt 2xStretch counts/blit=39
stretchblt 1.0xStretch counts/blit=52
stretchblt 2xStretch counts/blit=35

./configure (normal)
stretchblt 1.0xStretch counts/blit=50
stretchblt 2xStretch counts/blit=36
stretchblt 1.0xStretch counts/blit=52
stretchblt 2xStretch counts/blit=37

xp
stretchblt 1.0xStretch counts/blit=22912
stretchblt 2xStretch counts/blit=159396

Why does the test run two times on wine and only one time on xp?

Cheers
Rico