mp3 update

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 13 14:20:54 CDT 2009

2009/8/13 Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org>:
> Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> writes:

>>> Aric already explained that we can't:  it doesn't exist on the Mac.
>>
>> Not to nitpick, but if that's the reason for bundling libmpg, there
>> are several other libraries we should bundle...
>
> It's not the reason, as you point out the Mac is lacking a lot of
> things. I believe the reason we copied it was that it wasn't widely
> available on Linux either, because of licensing issues. If it's now
> included in the major distros then we should certainly consider dynamic

The libmpg123-0 package was not present on my Ubuntu 9.04 box. The
licensing issues still apply for mp3 support.

If wine does want to go down this route, it would probably be better
to use the GStreamer interface rather than an mp3 library directly --
that way, it doesn't matter what mp3 library they are using, and also
supports them (for example) using the Ubuntu codecs pack or the
Fluendo codecs (not sure if these are the same thing).

A quick google search indicates that GStreamer is supported on the Mac.

- Reece