[1/18] d3dx9: Add shader assembler private definitions

Matteo Bruni matteo.mystral at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 09:00:20 CDT 2009

> Step 4) really comprises many small patches, and will often comprise
> the bulk of the patchset.  It's important to make each commit atomic
> and useful.  So, for example, adding a bunch of declarations that
> aren't used to a private header isn't useful, though it is atomic.

Hi Juan,
while in principle I agree with what you say, in practice it is
difficult for me to do this.
The assembler requires quite some code to be at least minimally
working (i.e. to implement a somewhat working D3DXAssembleShader
function). This means that the first patch of step 4 will be really
big. It will have as a starting point a merge of patch 1, 2, 3, 5, 6,
12, 15, which sums up to ~ 200KB. From there I will try to strip as
much as possible (pixel shader support, some shader language
constructs, single instructions, ...) but it seems to be quite a work
and in any case the resulting patch needs to have a working lexer,
parser, bytecode writer and the glue among them, so it can't be made
smaller than so much, I believe.
Anyway I'm going to try to rework the patches the way you suggest,
we'll see what comes up...

Thanks,
Matteo Bruni.