oleaut32: Dynamic invocation for x86

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 02:22:03 CDT 2009

2009/8/21 Juan Lang <juan.lang at gmail.com>:
> Personally, I don't think the cut-and-paste approach we've been taking
> to fix this works all that well for a 126-argument function, so it
> seems like an assembly approach is the only tenable method.  I'm not
> certain whether Jon's approach is the correct one, but since it didn't
> get any comment before, I'd like to know:  if it isn't acceptable, why
> not?

I don't know if there's a reason the general approach couldn't work,
but the code in the patch is gcc specific, so I think it should at
least be protected by __GNUC__ in addition to __i386__. This won't
work on OS X either, it requires 16 byte alignment for the stack.
Also:

> +                  "subl  %eax, %esp\n\t" \
> +                  "0:\n\t" \
> +                  "pushl (%ecx, %eax)\n\t" \
> +                  "subl  $4, %eax\n\t" \
> +                  "jns   0b\n\t" \
> +                  "leal  (%esp, %ecx, " #pop_size "), %esp\n\t" \

This look like a somewhat questionable way to handle both cdecl and
stdcall with the same code to me.

You should probably look at call_entry_point() in dlls/ntdll/relay.c
for an example, although I also guess an argument could be made that
something like this should be in libwine. (That would probably break
functions that check their return address, not sure if that's an issue
here.)