profile.c (kernel32): API broken

Claudio Fontana claudio.fontana at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 17:49:59 CDT 2009

I tried to work on the patch again, but it does not apply anymore.
I am slowly going through what happened in profile.c, to find out
which changes should be kept,
and which go in a wrong direction.

I stumbled already @the first entry:

commit 9a10234ef2b5212ba44b82a797c478f190b4dad1
Author: Paul Vriens <Paul.Vriens.Wine at gmail.com>
Date:   Thu Apr 2 12:16:11 2009 +0200

The change is good and bad at the same time, in that the change
depends on the windows version AFAIR.
This change takes the []\r\n away for empty sections, but some windows
versions do put those characters there.

See http://bugs2.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=6182
for a file generated under Windows XP, showing the []\r\n at the
beginning for the empty string section.

There seems to be a situation where this gets changed back and forth
depending on who is committing the change (and thus probably depending
on which windows version is tested).

If someone is interested in fixing this confusion and has access to
different windows versions,
the whole history of

git log -p dlls/kernel32/profile.c

would be a good starting point, together with the experimental results
of XP and 98 which respectively do and do not put the '[]\r\n' there.