Towards leveraging app build and unit tests as a way to test wine

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Aug 26 11:29:47 CDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Dan Kegel<dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 1:42 AM, Dan Kegel<dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>> Wine is far enough along that it ought to be
>> able to build and run unit test suites from
>> apps like Inkscape, Firefox, and OpenOffice ...
>> Next step: grabbing firefox source and building.
>>
>> I'm also filing bugs as I go;
>> 19673   Microsoft Platform Installer 2003 fails to install
> OK, I got quite a ways into the firefox build.  Here are the new bugs
> so far (and one old one):
> 15359  cmd's "for" command doesn't handle /F. Breaks msysgit, firefox build.

I've collected some of this info in
http://wiki.winehq.org/UnitTestSuites
and
http://wiki.winehq.org/DanKegel

I'd like to add a new keyword in bugzilla
for bugs that block running an automated
build script.  appbuild, maybe?

I'm putting energy into this for lots of reasons:

- it's a great way to find bugs in Wine

- having good support for Visual C++ 2005 will
make it easier for Windows developers to
debug their apps on Wine -- and thanks to
tools like valgrind and oprofile, might make
wine an attractive tool for them period.

- I wanted a way to cross-compile for Windows
using Visual C++ (I'm tired of booting into Windows
just to see if I've broken the Chromium build there)

If you'd like to help, please pick a free software app
that supports being built on Windows, add it to
http://wiki.winehq.org/UnitTestSuites,
write an automated build script for it,
and file bugs for what you find.
Or tackle any of the bugs already mentioned above.

Thanks!
- Dan