Towards leveraging app build and unit tests as a way to test wine

Dan Kegel dank at
Wed Aug 26 11:29:47 CDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Dan Kegel<dank at> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 1:42 AM, Dan Kegel<dank at> wrote:
>> Wine is far enough along that it ought to be
>> able to build and run unit test suites from
>> apps like Inkscape, Firefox, and OpenOffice ...
>> Next step: grabbing firefox source and building.
>> I'm also filing bugs as I go;
>> 19673   Microsoft Platform Installer 2003 fails to install
> OK, I got quite a ways into the firefox build.  Here are the new bugs
> so far (and one old one):
> 15359  cmd's "for" command doesn't handle /F. Breaks msysgit, firefox build.

I've collected some of this info in

I'd like to add a new keyword in bugzilla
for bugs that block running an automated
build script.  appbuild, maybe?

I'm putting energy into this for lots of reasons:

- it's a great way to find bugs in Wine

- having good support for Visual C++ 2005 will
make it easier for Windows developers to
debug their apps on Wine -- and thanks to
tools like valgrind and oprofile, might make
wine an attractive tool for them period.

- I wanted a way to cross-compile for Windows
using Visual C++ (I'm tired of booting into Windows
just to see if I've broken the Chromium build there)

If you'd like to help, please pick a free software app
that supports being built on Windows, add it to,
write an automated build script for it,
and file bugs for what you find.
Or tackle any of the bugs already mentioned above.

- Dan