progress of sound update -- REVISED

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 28 12:07:31 CDT 2009

>>Why do you need to install esound?

>ALSA has shipped with "dmix" by default since shortly after 1.0 was
>released, though I think Ubuntu's pulse config can screw with it even
>after pulseaudio is removed.

I'd forgotten about dmix, it's been so long. Good old dmix and dsnoop (which is what I need for incoming sound).
I THINK MAYBE dmix works and dsnoop does not, because it's listed when I open Audacity.
I'll have to give it a try.

However, without installing esound, I don't see "dmix" and "dsnoop" but I do see "default." And "default" freezes. Perhaps that's them, and they just don't work?