work underway: Dependency on openal incoming

Maarten Lankhorst m.b.lankhorst at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 02:51:24 CST 2009

Hello Alexandre,

Alexandre Julliard schreef:
> Maarten Lankhorst <m.b.lankhorst at gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Without openal at compile-time, dsound will still build, but report no
>> sound devices found. Some games or other applications may refuse to
>> run if no dsound devices are found, so its recommended that you build
>> with openal. If openal is compiled in, but missing at runtime,
>> dsound.dll will refuse to load, which probably means most games will
>> not run either.
>>

> Openal missing at compile time or at runtime should be handled the same
> way, i.e. by reporting no sound devices. It doesn't make sense to have
> two different failure modes.

Mac OSX can only link directly to openal with -framework OpenAL, so
dynamic linking is impossible. As a result dsound will fail to load if
libopenal is missing. I don't think there is a better way to handle this
without ugliness, I'm confident that all distributions are shipping a
version of openal these days, even the 64-bits ones.

Cheers,
Maarten