Anti aliased fonts in wine - minimum font size

Aric Stewart aric at
Thu Dec 3 18:33:57 CST 2009

Avery Pennarun wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Austin English <austinenglish at> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Avery Pennarun <apenwarr at> wrote:
>>> I'm using Microsoft Office 2002 under wine.  According to the instructions here:
>>> ...I've enabled font anti-aliasing, and it does work for fonts above a
>>> particular point size.  However, it seems to turn itself off below a
>>> certain size.  How can I configure the minimum font size at which to
>>> allow anti-aliasing?
>> Try changing the dpi in winecfg.
> Heh.  Well, that seems to work, in that 10pt fonts are now
> anti-aliased, except it happens because my 10pt fonts are much bigger
> than before :)  That's not quite what I was looking for.
> It seems like the anti-alias feature is disabled based on the *pixel*
> size of the font?
> Avery

I am not sure if this is the case here,  but often the fonts themselves
actually set a minimum size for anti-aliasing.  The font designer
decides at what point the anti-aliasing would degrade the usability of
the glyphs and turns it off.  I know this is the case with many Asian

Have you tried with other fonts? Maybe you need to find a small
character font designed for point sizes 10 and below.