Wine sound discussion summary

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Sun Dec 6 10:08:25 CST 2009

Am 06.12.2009 um 15:32 schrieb Roderick Colenbrander:
> This audio engine is quite similar to
> pulseaudio and it offers functionality like per stream volume which
> normal APIs like oss/alsa/openal don't offer, so these APIs would map
> better to a sound server than to a standard library.
I am wondering: Does CoreAudio on OSX offer similar features? Or do we need a sound server there as well if we want to support them?

I CC'ed Ken.

On the big picture I like the Wine WASAPI proposal. I do however think that we should retain the capability to have multiple backends. Maybe we should go all-in on PulseAudio with its API if that gives us all needed features, and use CoreAudio on OSX if it satisfies our needs without a separate sound server.

Stefan