Wine sound discussion summary

Ove Kaaven ovek at arcticnet.no
Sun Dec 6 12:35:36 CST 2009

Roderick Colenbrander skrev:
> This audio engine is quite similar to
> pulseaudio and it offers functionality like per stream volume which
> normal APIs like oss/alsa/openal don't offer,

What?

If configured appropriately, ALSA can do it, although with the current
API it's not straightforward, as you need to map the stream to the
corresponding control element, if there is one. The softvol ALSA plugin
shows one implementation, but the method is also available in hardware
on suitable sound cards (SB Live, I think). (Of course, you'd have to
convince distros to use softvol by default, just like they now use dmix
by default, so this may not be practical, but in principle, ALSA does
offer the feature...)

And obviously, OpenAL can do it, probably in several ways (though some
might be more practical than others). Setting the corresponding buffer's
AL_GAIN attribute appropriately seems like an obvious candidate.

(Also wouldn't surprise me if the commercial OSS4 could do it...)