Wine sound discussion summary

Francois Gouget fgouget at
Mon Dec 7 06:59:24 CST 2009

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009, Reece Dunn wrote:
> > Is PulseAudio supported on Mac OS X, FreeBSD and Solaris?
> > If not then we'd need an alternative for these platforms.
>     * Linux (any modern distribution)
>     * Solaris
>     * FreeBSD
>     * NetBSD
>     * Native Win32 (no cygwin)

Actually I did not find any libpulse or libopenal library on my Solaris
10u5 or Solaris 10 Companion DVDs. So they are both non-standard on this
platform, meaning that unless Wine ships with them, then users of these
platforms would have no sound.

Concerning FreeBSD 7.0, neither are available as a package but both are
available as a port. So FreeBSD users are unlikely to have them
preinstalled but at least they have a reasonably easy and _standard_ way
of installing them.

Francois Gouget <fgouget at>
                     Linux: the choice of a GNU generation