wine rejects development (Mouse "escapes" window or is confined to an area in the full screen program NO HACKS PLEASE)

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 13:02:50 CST 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 8:41 AM, Vitaliy Margolen
<wine-devel at kievinfo.com> wrote:
> Peter Kovacs wrote:
>> Now Vitaliy Margolen actively stopped the
>> maintenance of this workarounds (in the bug called dirty hacks.), by
>> marking the patches obsolete and changing title.
> Yes, tried to, of course I can't stop anyone from hacking and posting their
> work, even on the same bug. All I can do is ask not to.

Then where do you propose people put that work?

> I did this because all of those workarounds (with exception of few) done by
>  people, who don't understand the entire scope of the problem. They've
> touched (and broke) parts of DInput that have nothing to do with the
> problem. I've already seen several invalid bug reports that were caused by
> some of this hacks.

This has happened with other bugs/patches too, e.g., the DIB
engine/the msi hack for photoshop/etc.

>> Is it right to have no Dirty Hack solution which just works?
> Then those hacks called proper patches. But they have to work for
> everything. A "Dirty Hack" is something that avoids a problem for one set of
> apps and totally breaks things for everything else.

Considering the main ones use a environmental variable to enable the
hack, the risk of that is greatly reduced.

I'm not saying these aren't hacks. By all means, they are. But users
need/want a solution, so let them have it. Perhaps I'm a bit biased
though, since the last game I played (Borderlands) needed this hack,
so I've also been affected ;-).

--
-Austin