wine rejects development (Mouse "escapes" window or is confined to an area in the full screen program NO HACKS PLEASE)

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Mon Dec 7 22:39:12 CST 2009

Peter Kovacs wrote:
> I think Austin is right, stopping Hacks would slow down development.
> And we need people hacking.
I'm not against hacks. I'm against dirty hacks, especially going into bugzilla!

What's a dirty hack? Something that adds commented out code, comments out
original code instead of removing / changing it, have loads of white-space
changes all over the place. Touches (in any way) parts that have nothing to
do with the actual problem. In short - something that person didn't even
bothered to look over and clean up before making it public.

If anyone still wants to maintain that sort of code - do it outside of
Wine's bugzilla. There are loads of free git repositories where one can dump
anything they pleased.

Also I'm having issues with people coming to bugzilla and asking how to
compile Wine, and other people trying to explain how to use patch. We have
forum/mailing list/IRC/wiki for this sort of stuff. Bugzilla is for bug
related information and discussions on how to fix it for example, not user
noise. Please keep it that way.

> There are some Ideas about splitting Hacks from patches.
Easy - patches go to wine-patches. Hacks can stay in bugzilla/private GIT
repos/wiki for long term stuff. Dirty hacks - should stay on PCs of their
creators until cleaned.

Vitaliy.