Very long printernames and test failures

Paul Vriens at
Tue Dec 8 03:20:51 CST 2009

On 12/08/2009 08:03 AM, Paul Vriens wrote:
> On 12/07/2009 11:38 PM, Detlef Riekenberg wrote:
>> On So, 2009-12-06 at 19:28 +0100, Paul Vriens wrote:
>>> Some test failures are shown on boxes with long printernames, for
>>> example:
>>> And indeed if I create a local printer with a very long name the cutoff
>>> is one bigger than what the test is currently doing.
>>> The attached patch fixes that.
>> I cant find a reason, why Windows is using 2 character for the
>> terminating zero.
>> This looks like an Windows bug.
>> I expect a different behavior on older Windows versions.
>>> The best test would probably to add a printer in the tests
>> An addprinter-test with a medium sized name is in my tree, but it needs
>> some
>> fixes in our Implementation.
>> I'm testing with AddPrinter in localspl, but the 16Bit separation got a
>> higher
>> priority.
>>> Any thoughts?
>> Manual creating printers with the specific length
>> (CCHDEVICENAME -2 / -1 / +0 / +1) on older OS and run the tests is easy,
>> but I cant do that before the next weekend.
> I will add some printers with names of different length to my test boxes
> and see what the results are.

Win9x/WinMe won't let me create a printername (manually) with a name >

On NT4/W2K I can create longer names but the dmDeviceName is still
nicely cut off at (CCHDEVICENAME - 1) so the tests still succeed.

As of XP when I create a printer with a name greater then (CCHDEVICENAME
- 1) it's cut of at 30 for dmDeviceName.

It will change the tests to deal with both. As this is the behavior of
XP and later I don't think we can talk about a bug so I won't mark this
as broken() for any of them.