Sound concerns

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 13:11:04 CST 2009

>> If there are any other open concerns, apart from packaging, let me know, since I really want to get dsound openal merged. :)
>> If there are still concerns that are open I would like to know, especially if they affect wasapi which is defined in include/audioclient.idl and audiopolicy.idl

One of the things which worries me and which you also mentioned on irc
is whether openal is the right library to implement wasapi. You
mentioned that some tasks require a 'server' (for the session guid
stuff). Further there are other features like per stream volume which
sound servers support but openal doesn't support this (it would the
task of a real sound server). I have the feeling that 'classic' sound
libraries (openal, alsa, oss, ..) are not the right approach for
implementing a 'sound server'. In my opinion they should be
implemented on top of CoreAudio/PulseAudio/..

Roderick