Parser for cmd language?

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at orange.fr
Sat Dec 19 01:47:50 CST 2009

Dan Kegel a écrit :
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>
>> bison it is, then.
>>

> I'm thinking of having some ucla students do this, and it
> occurred to me that using "ply" might be a good way to start.
> ply is a nice lex/yacc implementation written in python that
> sounds good for prototyping.  Once the grammer is far enough along,
> it'd be pretty easy to switch to c.
>
> Maybe I'll noodle around with ply and see if I can implement a
> subset of cmd's language with it.  Here's a tiny toy start:
> http://kegel.com/wine/cmd.py
>
> ply home page:
> http://www.dabeaz.com/ply/
> example of use of ply in compiler course:
> http://ecee.colorado.edu/~siek/ecen4553/fall08/hw2.pdf

beware that the integration of the parser in the current source code (ie
splitting in several small patches) can be tedious
so I'd rather see:
- implement the parser to be usable command by command (ie from first
word, to trigger either the old parser or the yacc one, or something
like that)
- when all commands are done, then switch to the global parser mode

I don't think writing the grammar itself will be very complicated, but
wiring all the code to the grammar will be more tedious

A+

--
Eric Pouech
"The problem with designing something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete idiot." (Douglas Adams)