[1/5] WineD3D: Revert the GL usage confusion

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 10:08:53 CST 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Stefan Dösinger <stefan at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> We had a discussion in wine-devel a few days ago about which GL usage is better. The red book also agrees with the GL wiki, but the GL 3.0 spec uses the confusing language the extension used.
>
> In my performance testing there is no difference, which suggests that this is a rather academic issue, unless you happen to run a game that is exactly hitting your card's bus transfer limits and/or video memory limits, but not the CPU and GPU ALU performance limits.

I'm not convinced the code should be changed back. All docs mention to
use DYNAMIC_DRAW. On some implementations there might be a difference.
I don't see a reason to change it. Did you get a response on the
question you submitted to opengl.org? From what I understood the main
difference between STREAM_DRAW and DYNAMIC_DRAW is that in case of
dynamic, system memory which can be accessed using DMA is used and
else this guarantee isn't given. I would keep it at the value which is
correct as indicated by all documentation. If you want to change it,
tests should be carried out on different drivers and GPUs OR wait for
the feedback from opengl.org/

Roderick