Guide for creating new AppInstall tests

Austin English austinenglish at
Mon Dec 28 17:57:46 CST 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Sam S. <smls75 at> wrote:
> Hello Wine team!
> After reading the introduction to AppInstall at
>, I decided to try and write some
> additional application tests for it.
> There are at least two freely downloadable win32 apps that I run with
> Wine, that have in the past (in my experience) been quite sensitive to
> small improvements/regressions in certain areas of wine (gecko engine
> and opengl, namely), so having them automatically tested daily could
> be useful...
> Unfortunately, however, the wiki page
> ( doesn't really provide a guide for
> how to go about doing this...
> It explains the text that will need to be put in the actual test
> script (which I could have also figured out by looking at the
> well-documented example scripts), but almost nothing about how you
> need to set up your working environment, what files to put where,
> which commands to call, etc, for the purpose of writing/testing a new
> AppInstall script from scratch.

I wrote Appinstall, as well as the documentation. While I agree it
could be made more useful, it had the usual problem of the developer
and users not communicating enough. I sent drafts of the documentation
to wine-users and wine-devel, but received few comments on what to
change/clarify/add. I'll work on the wiki in a bit, and the
documentation on winezeug itself. It would be even better if you could
e-mail me off list and point out what needs work. Or rewrite it to be
clearer, from a user's perspective ;-).

> In absence of such a guide, I just downloaded the whole
> directory, copied
> it into a Windows XP environment (because according to the WWN
> article, you're supposed to write the tests on Windows), and started
> by duplicating one of the example files.
> However, when I open a Command Prompt window and try to run one of the
> .ahk files with AutoHotKey, nothing really happens - all I see is some
> additional Command Prompt windows popping up for a split second and
> disappearing again, and then the command returns - nothing downloaded,
> no output, no error messages, nothing. (Btw, I don't even understand
> where the dowloads specified in the scripts are supposed to end up...)

Which script did you run? Most activity is logged to the log file
not stdout. Those command prompts opening and closing are most likely
sha1sum's being calculated for installed files.

> How am I supposed to do this?

The downloads, as well as log files, go to C:\appinstall, by default.
This is explained on the wiki.

> More generally: Could someone who knows how to do this maybe put up a
> step-by-step guide for users who want to contibute by writing new
> AppInstall tests, with no prior knowledge? Possibly something along
> the lines of:
>  - what/how do download

Not sure exactly what you mean here. The wiki explains you need the
Appinstaller files, and your program's installer/executable.

>  - on Windows: what files to put where / how to set up the environment

This should be clearer, but most of it is documented either on the
wiki/by reading the examples.

>  - on Windows: how to create a new test-script / where to put it

The test script can be anywhere, as long as the two include files are
in the same directory. Should be clearer.

>  - on Windows: how to get all those checksums

There's not an easy way on windows, without installing cygwin. This is
explained in the wiki.

>  - on Windows: how to properly test-run/debug the new script

By running it a few times and making sure nothing fails ;-).

>  - on Linux+Wine: what files to put where / how to set up the environment

Same as windows. Doesn't matter, as long as yourtest.ahk, init_test
and helper_functions are all in the same directory.

>  - on Linux+Wine: how to test-run the new script previously created on Windows

To test it, use:
$ wine /path/to/autohotkey.exe yourtest.ahk

and examine the log in:

>  - where to upload/send finished test-scripts to

It's in the README on winezeug, but send them to me. If the repository
is moved to winehq, the process may change...

Most of this is covered/explained, but like I said, the problem is no
one reviewed the material, and I wrote Appinstall so I needed little
explanation. If someone would volunteer to help with the documentation
(by proofing it, making sure I didn't leave steps out, etc.), it would
help greatly. E-mail me off list if anyone wants to help with this.