Guide for creating new AppInstall tests

Sam S. smls75 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 09:12:11 CST 2009

Hi Austin,

thank you for your reply. I'll give it another try.

Btw, I do realise that some questions of the step-by-step list I gave
at the end are already (at least partially) answered in various places
- this was intended more as an outline of how a step-by-step guide
useful to users with no prior experience could be added to the wiki
page.
Your answeres already made the process much clearer to me...

One thing though:

>>  - on Windows: how to properly test-run/debug the new script
>
> By running it a few times and making sure nothing fails ;-).

So you need to run

  ..\tools\autohotkey\autohotkey.exe testname.ahk

and then check

  C:\appinstall\testname-result.txt

correct?

>>  - on Windows: how to get all those checksums
>
> There's not an easy way on windows, without installing cygwin. This is
> explained in the wiki.

It explains it for Linux, I was hoping there would be a way to get the
checksums of the files generated on Windows, without copying them to
Linux first... Well, too bad...

> If someone would volunteer to help with the documentation
> (by proofing it, making sure I didn't leave steps out, etc.), it would
> help greatly.

If I manage to get it working now, maybe I can help with the
documantation (by providing a user's perspective)...
In any case, having a step-by-step howto of the actual process (as
outlined in my first email) would already be a great improvement
compared to having to collect the various bits of information from all
over...

One more thing: There should probably be a link to the AppInstall wiki
page at http://www.winehq.org/contributing and maybe other places...
(right now, it seems to be linked to only from the archived WWN
article, which makes it not so easy to discover for users...)