[patch] review requested - NamedPipe Message mode (was Reliable Datagram / Stream behaviour of NT Pipes)

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Sun Feb 1 03:29:59 CST 2009

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> writes:

>> You can't do that stuff on the client side. You either have to do all
>> pipe I/O in the server, or add named pipe support in the kernel. The
>> latter is harder, but would be much more useful.
>
>  well, not entirely knowing the difference, i'm guessing that i'm
> adding named pipe support in the kernel.  starting from
> SetNamedPipeHandleState and going from there.

I mean the Linux kernel.

>  comparing what i've got so far in the improvements to ReadFile,
> WriteFile, NtFsControlIo etc. with the way that it is believed that
> this _should_ be done, what is right and what is wrong?

It's all wrong, because this can't be done on the client side (kernel32
and ntdll are the client side, as opposed to the wineserver side). The
client side is the equivalent of user space, with the wineserver being
the equivalent of kernel space. You can't do this stuff in user space
(hint: concurrency).

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org