Simple but awesome demos of Wine?

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 1 14:42:53 CST 2009

2009/2/1 Kai Blin <kai.blin at gmail.com>:
> On Sunday 01 February 2009 20:11:33 Seth Shelnutt wrote:
>> Dan,
>>
>> As far as games go, off the top of my head there is WoW, and Guildwars.
>> Battlefield 2/2142 both seem good choice. Counter Strike: Source and COD4
>> are gold rated. Lastly Crysis is gold rated too. There is an issue with
>> punkbuster but that only effects online play.
>
> You do need to take the German youth protection law into account, though. I'd
> stay away from shooters, I guess.

A lot of the Casual games work (e.g. from Oberon Media and PopCap
Games) such as Westward III, Chuzzle, Bejeweled 2 and Peggle, but then
again a lot don't :( - the AppDB has an entry for them.

With WoW I spent my free game period downloading the ~8 GB worth of
data :(! The other Blizzard titles (Diablo 2, StarCraft and its
expansion, Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne expansion
[1]) work.

Other than that, Cepstral SwiftTalker (a text to speech program, with
various voices) works flawlessly (if you disable pulseaudio; with
pulseaudio it can lock up if you stop then play some text). But then
they also have a (command line) Linux version.

[1] I have had it crash sometimes between levels, but haven't had the
time to track this down or try the Warcraft 3 save race condition game
patch.

- Reece