Simple but awesome demos of Wine?

Piotr Pawłow pp at siedziba.pl
Sun Feb 1 17:01:38 CST 2009

Dan Kegel wrote:

> It'd be nice to also have some games, but I don't
> play enough to know which ones to pick.

I'd suggest FlatOut 2. It's an arcade racing game with nice graphics. The
only thing I couldn't get to work on Wine is online play, everything else
work great - sound, videos, special effects (post processing, shadows,
reflections etc).

It looks stunning on a big screen... with all the spectacular crashes, car
parts, scenery parts flying around. Lots of action, plus loud rock music
makes it good for parties :)

I'm amazed how well it works on Wine, even more so when I realize that it's
a DX9 game, not OpenGL. Frame rate is very good on my GeForce 8600GT,
perfectly smooth. I finished the whole game, and it never crashed while
playing, even after several hours.

There is a playable demo available on the net. I just checked if it still
works on Wine 1.1.13. Played a few races. It crashed on exit, but otherwise
was OK.

Regards