performance issue when OffscreenRenderingMode = "pbuffer"

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 19:09:05 CST 2009

2009/2/2 Stefan Dösinger <stefan at codeweavers.com>:
> Am Sonntag, 1. Februar 2009 22:02:15 schrieb Jérôme Gardou:
>> The patch was sent, but not accepted. Does anyone have a clue about it?
>>
>> http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2009-January/068339.html
> The vidmem counting is faked, and only counts the size of the D3D objects, not
> the size the GL objects have.
>
> Does this patch fix any bug? (I have missed the beginning of the thread)

Original post indicates it fixes a performance issue in Supreme
Commander, where it drops to < 10FPS after a while, presumably due to
graphics memory being exhausted and system memory being used instead.

Also in the original post is:

2009/1/25 Jérôme Gardou <jerome.gardou at gmail.com>:
> For those who are curious, try setting VideoMemorySize to 200 instead of
> 256. It works just like a charm.

I'm not sure, because I don't have Supreme Commander, but I assume
this is a current work-around for the performance issue (setting
VideoMemorySize to about 50MB less than what your card actually has).