Simple but awesome demos of Wine?

Brian Vincent brian.vincent at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 13:21:21 CST 2009

Dan -

I just a presentation last week at our local LUG and here's what I did.
(And for reference, this is the first time in almost 2 years I've had Linux
and Wine loaded on my laptop - I like what you guys did with the place.)

1.  I gave the presentation in Powerpoint 2003 and CrossOver Office.  I
started the presentation on a separate desktop before anyone saw me do it,
so they didn't know it was Powerpoint.  At the appropriate time during the
presentation for eye candy, I pressed ESC and said - "And here's
Powerpoint".  I also pointed out that it runs so stunningly well that's it's
completely unimpressive.. and that's exactly what Wine should be.  I also
started up Word quickly to show it running.

2.  Oh, all of these demos were shortcuts on my desktop so I could start
them quickly.

3.  I ran Wine's iexplore.exe and let it load winehq.org.  Then I explained
some architecture stuff like how it was a Wine MSHTML.DLL connecting to a
Windows Gecko engine for rendering.  It was also a brief intro intro into
what a Winelib app was.

4.  Then I VERY briefly showed off Wine's regedit, mostly as an intro for
folks to understand Wine has a registry.

5.  Finally, I ran 3DMark2001SE to show off 3D.  I wish I could have gotten
3DMark05 or 06 running, and I suspect I could have with some prodding, but
they do seem to require a software purchase and license key to do anything
cool.  At least 01 is D3D8 and there's good demo's that don't require a
license key.  01 does have some good eye candy - I let the demos run for
about 10 minutes while I used a whiteboard to illustrate some architecture
stuff with Wine.  Note: if you run 3D demos on a projector you might want to
consider using desktop mode.  I got lucky and the projector was ok with the
resolution resizing and it only had a bit of a glitch.  I do suspect a lot
of projectors will be unhappy with Wine changing resolutions.

I considered showing off a real game, like WoW or Call of Duty, but the real
problem was the sheer size of the downloads - 600MB and the install size,
16GB, which my little laptop just wasn't up for since I was putting the 3D
demo together at the last minute.  Also, I wanted something that would run
automatically that I didn't have to interact with, hence the 3DMark01 demo.

6.  You might want to consider showing off Google's Picasa and it's custom
Wine implementation.  I almost did.. and you'd know even more about the guts
of that.

-Brian