Simple but awesome demos of Wine?

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 19:39:38 CST 2009

2009/2/3 Evil Jay <wine at eternaldusk.com>:
> Eliot Blennerhassett wrote:
>> "LTspice detects whether or not it's running under WINE. If so, it works
>> around a few WINE issues. You can force LTspice to think it's running
>> under WINE with the command line switch –wine. You can force it to think
>> it's not with the command line switch –nowine in case you're interesting
>> in working on WINE issues."
>>
> Wow... that's pretty cool of the LTspice authors to do that and not just
> leave it in their own personal debug builds!

As Austin says, it would be better if they submitted bugs with test
cases to bugs.winehq.org. It'd be even better again if they submitted
patches to Wine. What will happen when the bugs get fixed in Wine, and
LTspice is still trying to work around them?

I've been trying to think of some good games to demo ...

http://www.spore.com/trial
Spore Creature Creator runs very well and has a trial version (which
sounds weird to me, a trial version of a trial version). It's also
family-friendly if that's a consideration.

I was going to suggest Halo: Combat Evolved, but that's probably not
cute and fuzzy enough (and some of the shadows don't work properly).

Apparently there's a demo of Portal. That might be a good choice too.
Seems it's available via Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/410/