ntdll: add a warning about running wine as root (resend)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 08:45:45 CST 2009

2009/2/9 James Mckenzie <jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net>:

> Thus, the need for the warning.  Experts tend to know what they are doing, newbies don't for the most part.  And yes, I borked many a system as a newbie and as an expert (building kernels for RedHat/Fedora for my Thinkpad.

Yep. The problem is that newbies are coming from Windows - (a) where
the answer to inability to do something is to try again as
administrator (b) which sometimes takes precautions to keep you from
shooting your foot off.

Solutions:

1. Get better newbies. (Strikes me as unlikely.)
2. Something to help stop them shooting their foot off that won't
hamper those who really want to do this.

- d.