ntdll: add a warning about running wine as root (resend)

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 9 09:05:45 CST 2009

Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org> wrote:
>Sent: Feb 9, 2009 7:53 AM
>To: James Mckenzie <jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net>
>Cc: Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com>, wine-devel at winehq.org
>Subject: Re: ntdll: add a warning about running wine as root (resend)
>
>James Mckenzie <jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net> writes:
>
>> New wine installation:
>>
>> su (no dash so root's environment is not picked up)
>> wine notepad
>> install various programs and use them.
>> exit
>
>This shouldn't hurt anything. Please specify the exact platform and show
>us the exact commands you are using, or better file a bug with that
>info.

It does not hurt anything but Wine's reputation.  I don't know, but the phrase "I would rather be run over rather than run down" does apply here.  In other words, we should be getting positive responses to user experiences, rather than dealing with newbies having to delete their .wine directories because they ran Wine as root without setting to the root environment.  Fortunately, I run a Mac and running as root is disabled and it is a lengthy process to enable that user, which I did to attempt to get around a problem that running as root did not fix.

I agree that user education is key, educating some folks is hard.

James McKenzie