ntdll: add a warning about running wine as root (resend)

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Tue Feb 10 08:38:05 CST 2009

Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Vitaliy Margolen <wine-devel at kievinfo.com> writes:
>
>> Alexandre Julliard wrote:
>>> Again, please demonstrate the exact sequence that leads to an actual
>>> problem, not just vague hearsay of people reporting problems that may or
>>> may not have anything to do with this.
>>>
>> Will this work? BTW default Open SuSE configuration.
>>
>> vitaliy at dragon:~ $export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-root
>> vitaliy at dragon:~ $sudo wine winecfg
>> root's password:
>> wine: created the configuration directory '/root/.wine'
>
> As you can see it's creating a new prefix under /root, so it's not
> messing up the user's prefix. That's perfectly fine.

That part worked you are correct.

However X11 part didn't (missing $DISPLAY). And even if $DISPLAY would be
defined in this case all programs will be installed into root's env not
user's. No menu entries, no desktop links no visible installed programs -
big problem for noob users "where did my stuff go"?

Vitaliy.