imagicos

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 10 12:16:23 CST 2009

Jeremy White <jwhite at winehq.org> wrote:

>EA Durbin wrote:
>> I just saw this linux distribution on distrowatch. They claim to be able
>> to run all microsoft products. Interesting.
>
>Just for the record, these folks are customers of ours.

Thank you for the clarification of your relationship with this company.

>It is my belief that their distribution of CrossOver complies with all
>of the terms of the LGPL; we try to make sure of that for our customers.
> I even believe that money they make as a result of their windows
>compatibility will, albeit fairly indirectly, support Wine development.

This is very true.  Hopefully, the legal folks have taken a look at how they
are utilizing your product.  I, for one, don't like to see one company's
efforts usurped by another.

>Obviously, I like it when folks can celebrate the contributions of
>everyone to Wine, and to all the FOSS products that go into something
>like a Linux distribution.  But Free Software means that folks are also
>free to market as they see fit :-/.

I have warned folks against 'Free' software due to support concerns.  I use
Crossover because CodeWeavers is an ongoing concern.  I advise folks to work
with Wine, with the cavet that it is FOSS and that support is only available
through the Wine Forums or Wine Mailing Lists.  I also warn them that a problem
they encounter may or may not be corrected.  The same is true of most commercial
software, but there is available telephone support (if you pay for it.)

Again, I like where Wine is moving and the advances in just the last year.  Also,
I do support those companies that attempt to commercialize products, like RedHat
and CodeWeavers.  Please continue to do the great things that will move Wine forward.

James McKenzie