ntdll: add a warning about running wine as root (resend)

Vincent Povirk madewokherd+8cd9 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 11:40:41 CST 2009

> $ wine setup.exe # program doesn't work/error about admin rights/etc.
> $ sudo wine setup.exe
>  wine: '/home/user/.wine' is not owned by you, refusing to create a
> configuration directory there
> $ sudo su
> # wine setup.exe

Ok, if I understand you, one of the following things happens after that:

* The program fails in the same way. I don't think that's really a problem.

* The program succeeds because it really did need to be root. That's
not really a problem either, unless we can provide what the program
needs without being root.

* The program succeeds because root's .wine directory is pristine.
That's bad. The user should just be running a new WINEPREFIX instead
of root.

Simply putting up an obstacle without suggesting an alternative won't
help anyone.

So we should be looking for a way to encourage users to try a new
WINEPREFIX before trying things as root?