ntdll: add a warning about running wine as root (resend)

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 11:43:33 CST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Vincent Povirk
<madewokherd+8cd9 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> $ wine setup.exe # program doesn't work/error about admin rights/etc.
>> $ sudo wine setup.exe
>>  wine: '/home/user/.wine' is not owned by you, refusing to create a
>> configuration directory there
>> $ sudo su
>> # wine setup.exe
>
> Ok, if I understand you, one of the following things happens after that:
> * The program succeeds because root's .wine directory is pristine.
> That's bad. The user should just be running a new WINEPREFIX instead
> of root.

Yes. That, or some users try root from the beginning.

> Simply putting up an obstacle without suggesting an alternative won't
> help anyone.

The permissions check cut down on people using sudo quite a bit.
Removing drive c from winecfg prevented a lot of people mapping it to
windows drives. Users are creative. Watch the forums and you'll notice
these things.

> So we should be looking for a way to encourage users to try a new
> WINEPREFIX before trying things as root?

Of course. We already encourage not running as root, but that doesn't
mean it sinks in. Enforcing it in the code actually does some good.

--
-Austin