An idea for the appdb

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 11 14:03:21 CST 2009

-----Original Message-----

This would be great, but as previously discussed, who would maintain this information
and verify it is correct and proper?  Although some features would be 'neet to have'
it is best to leave them on the drawing board for now and work on the various bugs
that require workarounds.  This is because of two limited resources:  People and Time.
If you have the skills to implement this feature, go ahead and try on a limited database
on your home system.  You would quickly see that we have about 10,000 applications
in the AppDB and there are many versions of Wine.  This gives you some starting point
of the size of this task.  Supporting a few applications would lead to the 'why isn't
my wiz-bang application there' and a great deal of discussion, wasting more resources.

Of course, if you could produce something that would emulate the "Report to ...."
functionality that is in popular use, that would help keep the AppDB and Bugzilla
up to date as long as a search capability were added to sweep these systems for
pre-existing entries related to the current problem.

Just my opinion, but this project is not worth attempting at this point.

James McKenzie