wintrust(2/3): Remove a couple tests that fail on a variety of systems (try 2)

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 12 11:18:12 CST 2009

2009/2/12 Paul Vriens <paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com>:

>>> Maybe it's not that there are not enough rights. The common denominator that
>>> I see is that all reports/boxes that produce these failures seems to be
>>> coming from one person (Ge). Maybe worthwhile checking with him before just
>>> removing the tests?
>>
>> Perhaps.  The last error didn't change in any of these tests, so I'm
>> discinclined to believe it's a permissions issue.  The only change was
>> that on some systems the return value is FALSE, whereas on others it's
>> TRUE.  I don't think a test that says ok(ret == TRUE || ret == FALSE)
>> is worth much, so I removed it.
>>
>> In general, I treat this Windows boxes as oracles:  if they behave a
>> certain way, then by definition that's allowed behavior.  The only
>> exception is when the behavior differs and is clearly broken on older
>> machines.  Since in this case, the failures are on relatively new
>> machines as well, the tests appear to be flawed.
>>
>> Of course, if it's a misconfiguration, I'll reconsider.
>> --Juan
>>
> What we maybe need in the header of the report is more information:
>
> - The locale
> - The screen dimensions
> - Do we have admin rights

+1

- DPI setting
- Installed theme (if any)
- system metrics (font name & size, etc) -- this would be useful for those tests
- installed versions of system components -- MSI; IE; .NET -- I know
that these could probably be implied from DLL versions, but it can be
difficult to find out what version of a DLL corresponds to IE6SP1 or
whatever

- Reece