Proposal: put Winetricks into Wine menu

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Feb 13 23:42:27 CST 2009

I know, when I wrote Winetricks, I meant it as a developers'
tool only.  But... then... people started using it, and
it made sense to provide it as a way to download missing
visual C++ runtimes etc. for average users.

Quite a few newbies trip over the fact that it
needs cabextract installed.  Let's make it easy
for folks, actually package it up along with
Wine (SuSE does this already), and put it
in the Wine menu right beneath "Uninstall Windows Software".

What do people think?  It might make life easier for a lot of folks.

(And, come to think of it, we should include some documentation
in that menu.  "man wine" just doesn't cut it for the average
gui user, and "wine manual page" in the gnome
help browser is a broken link.  But that's a separate issue.)
- Dan