Proposal: put Winetricks into Wine menu

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Feb 14 09:06:13 CST 2009

So, for people packaging wine, here's a proposed plan:

0. See http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks if you're not familiar with winetricks

1. Download http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
(or get it via svn, see http://code.google.com/p/winezeug )
It's a monolithic shell script, so you don't need to compile it or anything.

2. Move it to /usr/bin and do chmod +x /usr/bin/winetricks

3. Add a dependecy on cabextract, sha1sum, and wget or curl.

4. In your package's changelog, note which version of Winetricks
you pulled down.  You'll want to pull down a fresh one every time
you package Wine, as it contains download URLs that occasionally
go stale. (In particular, I need to update the gecko URL for wine-1.1.5,
I'll do that today.)

The Suse packages already do all the above steps, I think;
you might ask Marcus Meissner if you want to confirm the details.

Here's the part that I don't think anybody does yet:

5. Add a menu item under Applications / Wine that runs /usr/bin/winetricks.
In Ubuntu, the existing menu items are
  Programs
  Browse C: Drive
  Configure Wine
  Uninstall Wine Software
Assuming we name the menu item Winetricks, the menu would then look like
  Programs
  Browse C: Drive
  Configure Wine
  Uninstall Wine Software
  Winetricks

Now, at some point we should come up with a better menu item name
than Winetricks, but I have no idea how to sum it up properly.
winetricks has a fair bit of name recognition, and requires no
localization, so let's run with that name until we figure out
what it should really be called, and what the GUI really
should look like in the end.

(We also need a menu item there for "Help Using Wine", but
nobody's written that yet.  It can't just be links to the FAQ,
since it has to work while offline.)

Sound good?
- Dan