Win to Lin Library Wrapper

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Mon Feb 16 13:11:01 CST 2009

> I had an interesting thought the other day, and that is to having some
> built
> in support for forwarding windows dlls to linux .so's. A while back, I had
> worked on the CUDA wrapper, which basically just transfers the calls from
> the dll to so. At that point I didn't work on a CAL wrapper because there
> was not linux support from ATI with CAL. Now there is, and has been and
> someone has requested a CAL wrapper for folding at home. I've started the
> work
> on it but I have been thinking, that I think it might be benifical to have
> some sort of built in support in wine for this. A method for automatically
> sending calls made to a .dll to the linux counterpart .so, if one exist.
> The
> work involved with making a wrapper for CUDA or CAL isn't that much, it's
> fairly simple in the grand scheme of things. However I'm sure there must
> be
> a lot of 3rd party, non-microsoft libraries that have windows and linux
> counter parts, that both expect the same inputs and. I know wine already
> does a lot of this, but some sort of automation in the process, in which
> if
> a call is made to cudart.dll, wine sees it, and transfers the calls to
> cudart.so. The list of .dlls and respective .so s could simply be kept in
> the registry for easy editing, and adding of libraries without the need to
> recompile wine.
>
> Hopefully I've put my idea across clearly. What are everyone's thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Seth Shelnutt

Years ago we had this functionality is Wine. Next to 'builtin', 'native' we had an option 'so'. It worked for glide2x/glide3x but for the rest not for much other libs. It was dropped during some debugging rewrite if I rememeber correctly. I don't remember if it was due to maintenance issues or because of some technical issue.

Roderick