search path redux - if office 2007 always uses a private riched20, why does wine interpose its own global one?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Feb 17 08:31:11 CST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 4:07 AM, Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org> wrote:
>> Essentially, to run Office 2007, you have to set an override
>> for riched20.  Since Office installs a new, spiffier version
>> of riched20 in its own private directory, and expects to
>> find it there, isn't it a bug that we don't let it have it?
>
> There's no guarantee that using the private version would help. In some
> cases it does, in other cases it makes things worse. So defaulting to
> builtin is preferable, this way at least when it doesn't work we have a
> chance of fixing it.

OK, but that leaves Office 2007 broken for the average user,
which can't be good.   A whitelist of apps for which specific
private DLLs are needed would solve this particular case.
That's a hack, and against winehq policy, but
because of the overwhelming popularity of the app,
it's probably worth it for us to hold our noses and do that.  No?
- Dan