GSoC 2009 coming up

Owen Rudge owen at owenrudge.net
Tue Feb 17 11:52:27 CST 2009

> My biggest motivation for requiring weekly status updates is that in the past
> years I had a hard time following the GSoC projects I was not involved with
> directly. At WorldForge, we required weekly reports to the mentor at first
> and then decided that the weekly reports should go to the developer mailing
> list. That kept everybody informed what was going on.

I would say this seems sensible - the weekly reports would not
necessarily have to be greatly detailed, but I imagine it would help to
keep students on track, and would enable the rest of the community to
know what's going on with the students. From experience, I would say
that I probably only tended to post on the lists when I had specific
problems, or patches to submit, so a weekly update would have likely
resulted in more interaction.

Cheers,

--
Owen Rudge