Wine download page usability problem

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Feb 20 11:24:09 CST 2009

I got email from a friend who complained how
hard it was to install wine.  Turns out he
assumed he had to go to winehq.org and
follow the download instructions there,
when all he needed to do was do
Applications / Add/Remove and pick Wine.

Can we add in a line at the top saying
"Stable version 1.0.1 of Wine can usually be installed
 just like any other Linux application using your
 package manager (e.g. in Ubuntu, do Applications / Add/Remove,
 select Wine, and click Apply Changes).

 If that doesn't work, or if you need a newer version of Wine,
 here's how to get it."
?

I know, that clutters things even more.  Suggestions for
achieving the same thing more concisely would be welcome.

I think we should also move the text
"This endorsement is the primary recognition that CodeWeavers has
requested in exchange for hosting the Wine web site."
to the bottom of the page, and change it to read
"Thanks to CodeWeavers for hosting WineHQ.org".
- Dan