msi: begin support for finding network last sources in find_published_source

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 12:05:54 CST 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Aric Stewart <aric at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> Ok i am following you but.
>
> James Hawkins wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 4:45 AM, Aric Stewart <aric at codeweavers.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>
> .
>>
>> No, I think the patch is wrong in that if you remove the original
>> media and the stored cabs, the install will fail.
>
> By that thinking then the whole function find_published_source is a horrible
> hack and should be removed as being wrong. It is not the case that these
> published sources should be accessible?

Na it's not a hack.  Some patches require the old source to be
available (older versions of Office patches for example.)  But those
all work fine, so I can't say whether the patch is correct or not
without tests.  My main concern is that we're now *hiding* other bugs
because of the changed behavior.

> Maybe this is not the correct fix for SP1.  But is this patch incorrect for
> msi also?
>
> I am looking at the REINSTALL logic and it looks like it may be tricky.

I think you're best bet is to append tests to
tests/package.c:test_states() that set REINSTALL and REINSTALLMODE to
various values and see what the states are.  From there the necessary
implementation should be apparent. The most important part of
REINSTALL(MODE) is that it allows an already installed non-versioned
file to not be reinstalled (in certain cases.)  If I remember
correctly, we needed this one for SP1.  Also, REINSTALL is set to the
features that are requested to be reinstalled, and we shouldn't try to
reinstall anything else in that situation.

--
James Hawkins